Hi to all you folkies out there. We are heading towards summer, although it’s sometimes hard to believe.
Acoustic Routes is not presenting a concert during October because Wellyfest is being held right in the middle, at the Brookfield Scout Camp, Moores Valley Road, Wainuiomata, from the evening of Friday the 20th until late Sunday the 22nd (Labour Weekend).
Acoustic Routes and performers associated with Acoustic Routes will be prominent performing throughout the weekend. These include:
- Helen Dorothy, an amazing local singer, songwriter, launching her new CD, accompanied by Lott and Paul
- Reverie, Tony and Victoria singing wonderful harmonies
- The T Bone Trio Richard, Dusty and Gerry playing wonderful music that is bound to get you dancing
- Vikki Clayton and Gilly Darby, two very experienced Pro performers formerly from the UK folk scene
- K Too, our own Kevins (McLoughlin and Ikin) launching their wonderful new CD of West Coast NZ songs
- Chilli Jam playing for the Saturday night ceilidh
- Acoustic Routes will be represented at the Balladeer concert from 12.15 pm until 1. 00 pm by Toil And Trouble, (Ron Craig, Mary Hubble and Jude Douglas). Lovely harmonies and instrumental accompaniment
- Julian and Diana. Julian Ward and Diana Bastion featuring gorgeous guitar accompanying very lovely mainly trad singing. Very beautiful.
- Dominic Rowsell . A young up-and-coming performer, who is a multi, multi instrumentalist.
Come along for the whole weekend and camp, or just visit for the day. Details are available on the web. Always a superb festival, which as always has a number of outstanding national and international world class guests.
Thursday the 24th of November starting at 7. 30 at the Roseneath School hall. We are presenting what will be an amazing concert by the Klezmer Rebs. The Klezmer Rebs are a Wellington based group of outstanding musicians who play very lively, exciting Klezmer music. The music of the Eastern European Jews. If you have heard this group, you will never forget them. You are bound to want to be dancing in the aisles .
Supporting The Klezmer Rebs will be Tim Barrie and Liz Merton. Two more extraordinary musicians who are certainly good enough to be playing the main act. They will be playing music from the Middle East and Persia.
Acoustic Routes won’t be presenting any concerts during December and January . However on Sunday the 10th of December. Sue and Kim Rose, have very kindly invited club member’s to their lovely country home for a Christmas party.
5-7pm, Alfred’s Art Space Petone
Those who have been before to this regular get-together will
know what a delightful and different setting it provides for
performing with friends in casual but appreciative company. Those who haven’t yet made it will be welcome with their story, song or tune. Coffee and tea are provided and a koha requested for the bowl.
As usual, we are not providing a concert on the Thursday that falls right before the
Festival (23rd-26th); but we hope you will join us at the Festival. Acoustic Routes will
be running a blackboard concert 11.30-2.30 on the Saturday in the Maire Hall and
presenting the concert which forms the final of the Joan Prior Young Performers
Award 1 p.m. on the Sunday in the Small Marquee.
1-3pm, Thunderbird Cafe
Yes, the Open Mic is continuing, on the first Sunday of each month. So come along this Sunday and give us and the fabulous Thunderbird your support. Open to all acoustic performers.
Pop in, put your name on the list and do a couple of numbers. And enjoy Thunderbird’s warm hospitality while you’re sharing the music.
Contact: Kevin Ikin: email